Wednesday, January 18, 2006

ALA job placement center: before the conference

This is my first time using the placement service, so I'm still learning how it works. I logged in, created a profile, and posted my resume last month. Nothing really happened, so I sent a few messages to recruiters through the website mentioning that I'll be at the conference and am interested in speaking with them. Some replied, some didn't. I figured I should try to set up meetings in advance, but the replies I did get made it seem like I should just show up at their booth at the conference. Then today, out of the blue I got an email from somebody I hadn't contacted before. Very exciting. The job looks pretty interesting, so I agreed to meet for a chat at the conference. I'm not quite sure what to expect. I don't anticipate a full-on interview, more of a screening/get-to-know-you conversation, but really it could go either way. Fingers crossed!

1 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I did the placement centre last ALA midwinter. Not as many employers as I had hoped and definitely more public than others.
They definitely are the screening type interviews - but still really great for practice. Try and do one for LAPL just for fun - they usually have 2 interviewers and great questions.
Of the 5 ppl I know who used it last year, one did get a job through it - the rest of us found jobs elsewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home