Statement of Professional Concerns (first draft)
I've been meaning to get around to this, but certain things get left undone at the end of the semester: dishes, laundry, submissions to the elections committee...
With school under control once again, I feel like I should get back to the business of running for ALA Council. Samantha's already beat me to it and blogged a draft of her statement. I shouldn't have read hers first, because she says a lot of the same things I want to say.
I've only got 150 words, and here are my talking points so far:
- As one of the nearly 10,000 student members of ALA, I'd like to see strong student involvement throughout all levels of the association.
- As a resident of the west coast, I will contribute to the geographic diversity of Council.
- I've worked in variety of library settings: public, academic, special, and school.
- I began my career as a paraprofessional and can approach the issues facing libraries from a variety of perspectives.
- I'm passionate about libraries and strangely fascinated by discussions of policy, planning, and governance.
Hmm. How else to differentiate myself? What would you like to see in a candidate's statement? And what would persuade you to hand over your vote???