Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Statement of Professional Concerns (first draft)

I've been meaning to get around to this, but certain things get left undone at the end of the semester: dishes, laundry, submissions to the elections committee...

With school under control once again, I feel like I should get back to the business of running for ALA Council. Samantha's already beat me to it and blogged a draft of her statement. I shouldn't have read hers first, because she says a lot of the same things I want to say.

I've only got 150 words, and here are my talking points so far:

  • As one of the nearly 10,000 student members of ALA, I'd like to see strong student involvement throughout all levels of the association.

  • As a resident of the west coast, I will contribute to the geographic diversity of Council.

  • I've worked in variety of library settings: public, academic, special, and school.

  • I began my career as a paraprofessional and can approach the issues facing libraries from a variety of perspectives.

  • I'm passionate about libraries and strangely fascinated by discussions of policy, planning, and governance.

Hmm. How else to differentiate myself? What would you like to see in a candidate's statement? And what would persuade you to hand over your vote???

1 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger Sara Zoe Patterson said...

I'm glad to see you say something about paraprofessionals and being able to approach some things from that perspective. I am currently a para and just began work on my mlis this September. Part of the reason it took me awhile to commit to a mlis program is the holier-than-thou attitude a lot of 'real' librarians have about their degrees, and really, I don't want to have anything to do with these people. Some of them are very very very loud, especially amoungst school librarians (which is where I'm headed and where I work now).

All of this is a long-winded way of saying, thank you for your stance on that issue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home