Tuesday, February 14, 2006

You know you're a big library dork when...

...you take pictures of libraries while you're on vacation.



This is the public library in Quepos, Costa Rica. Unfortunately, it was closed, so I don't know what it's like on the inside.

I didn't set out to find the library, but I did make sure to go back and take a look after I noticed the sign saying "library thisaway."

When I'm visiting a library I've never been to before (perhaps because of aforementioned library dorkishness, or perhaps because I've got a job interview), I like to take public transit there if it's possible. It helps me get a sense of how easy it is to get to the library. I'll usually stop people on the street and ask for directions to the library, not because I don't know where I'm going, but because I'm curious about whether people know where the library is. Usually the first person I ask is able to point me in the right direction. The only time I've really had trouble was on the way to a library board meeting a bit south of here. I had to ask three or four people because it took me a while to find someone who spoke English.

3 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm a library dork too; taking pics when on vacation. Good to know there are others out there...

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi,
I know this is the wrong place, but I just wanted to thank you for sharing your interviews through your blog! I am going to run a bubble bath now, light some candles, and contemplate my answers to all the questions you have posted. I will ace this interview! You rock!
Alicia

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not the only one! I am just back from Mexico and the Biblioteca Publica de Merida is exquisite. On a Tuesday at 7:00 pm it was packed with college students, teenagers, and folks reading newspapers. It's painted pale jade green inside and out and has brass fixtures.

All the call number stickers are applied at exactly the same height on the book spine, so each row of books has a ribbon of perfectly aligned call numbers. The place was buzzing despite the beautiful enamel plaques that read SILENCO.

The public library in the village of Puerto Morelos is a stucco block the size of a large closet. I never saw the inside but it was a sort of beacon nonetheless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home