Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Second interview, children's librarian

Three person panel: branch manager, head of youth services, and another children's librarian. This one was face to face, and the car I drove broke down on the freeway on the way there. We're talking smoke coming out of the engine. A spectacular friend rescued me and I was only 20 minutes late. I phoned ahead to explain my predicament, and they were remarkably kind about the whole thing. (The transportation jinx continued into the next day, but I'll spare you the gory details...)

  • What made you choose librarianship as a career?

  • What do you see as the role of a children's librarian?

  • Name a book, CD, and movie that you've seen/read/watched recently. (They laughed about how this question was kind of silly and mostly for their amusement. They weren't looking for children's material, which is good, because the last movie I watched and the only thing that came to mind was Godfather II.)

  • What three words would you use to describe yourself? (I actually said, "Oh, no, not that question!")

  • A fourth grader comes to you for help with homework. Describe what you would do.

  • A sixth grader asks you for a good book to read. What steps do you take to help?

  • Something about emerging technologies, like: give an example of an emerging technology and how will you use it to serve youth.

  • How do you prepare for storytime?

  • The parent/book challenge question. What do you do?

  • What do you do when a child is disruptive during storytime?

  • How will you build relationships with schools?

  • Describe your experience working with volunteers.

  • Describe your ideal work environment.

  • What are your criteria for weeding?

  • How do you make yourself approachable to children? (I thought that was a great question, and I told them as much.)

  • Describe a time you have received good customer service. Now relate that to library service. (Extra points for the creative question!)

  • What question haven't we asked yet? Now answer that question.


I'm impressed that I remembered all 17 questions...they're definitely not in the order they were asked. They did a really good job of asking follow up questions based on my answers, so this list doesn't really capture the entirety of the interview. Afterwards, I got a tour of the branch. The whole thing lasted just under an hour and a half.

10 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came over to see what you'd been writing---nice to have the questions--a good refresher on "things they ask in an interview" and I was able to go through them in my mind.

Go you :)

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Heidi. I'm finally graduating from SLAIS and going for a children's/adult's interview in a couple of weeks!

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the info, Heidi. I'm interviewing for a children's librarian position next week, and these questions are excellent for prepping.
And the creepy thing is, I just watched Godfather II last night...

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just ran across your blog and am quite happy as I am possibly going to need to apply elsewhere (currently love my library job but will probably have to move out of state with husband for new job). Having fallen into my current job after part-time work evolved into full-time, I have never had a proper interview...nice to see the sort of questions they ask.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Sarah Russo said...

okay I have to know what is the "parent/book challenge question".

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger mepate said...

Hi...ran across your blog while trying to find typical interview questions for a children's librarian. This will help so much. I am going for an interview next week, and want to be as prepared as possible. Great blog...I look forward to new posts :)

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Natasha the Artsy Librarian said...

Thanks Heidi, I came across your post while looking for information on how to prepare for an interview for a children's librarian position. I am very impressed that you remembered all the questions.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger mamagrub said...

THANK YOU! I am preparing for my interview for Children's Librarian at our local library. Your questions and comments are very helpful!!

Wish me luck!

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever get an answer to this question?

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the questions. I've got an interview for a children's/tweens/teens position tomorrow and have been studying like crazy! This will be my 6th interview in the past 7 months, so hopefully it'll also be the last!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home