Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Howard Norman

I can't believe I'm the only one who's listed The Haunting of L. as a favorite book. Is that possible?

I went through a phase where I read books with moral dilemmas. Or at least that's how I categorized them. Books about decent people who didn't exactly make bad choices, they just declined to make the right ones.

Howard Norman's books are deliciously dull. I like to imagine them being read in a monotone. Imagine yourself in a room full of people, doing something very uninteresting, and drifting off into daydreams. There's a crash, and suddenly you're called to attention. Everyone is laughing at a joke you missed, or people are fleeing the room with expediency. Something changed without you noticing, and you're left feeling uneasy. Subtle, yet drastic. That's what his books are like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home